Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu December 20, 2012
Council Joins Mayor On Gun Control Stance
The Kansas City city council has joined the mayor in calling for tougher gun control laws. One focus is on controlling weapons like AK-47's and AR-15's.
On Wednesday, Sly James announced that he would be one of a group of mayors signing an open letter to President Obama and Congress calling for a ban on assault weapons and an elimination of loopholes in the American gun laws.
The following day, the city council unanimously endorsed sending a letter to Washington officials urging them to restore the federal ban on assault weapons.
Mayor James said even though local governments have no say-so over national leaders, such statements are important steps to take because, "Even if this is a symbolic gesture it's one worth taking because at some point in time we as leaders have to make our positions known."
The council also unanimously endorsed a national moment of silence honoring the victims of the Newtown tragedy at 8:30 Friday morning, December 22.
Up to Date