Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Fri November 28, 2008
Jazz Artist Bobby Watson Presents The Gates Bar-B-Q Suite
Nine years ago, when Kansas native son Bobby Watson returned to the area from New York to head the UMKC jazz department, jazz fans had cause to celebrate.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – Bobby Watson's known even to casual listeners as one of the major figures of saxophone of the 25 years. But those who've followed his career carefully also recognize Bobby Watson as a master composer of the jazz orchestra. One of his earlier major compositions is called "Afro-isms" and is based on African-American folk sayings.
On Monday, December 1st, Bobby Watson presented the world premiere of his latest large-scale composition, The Gates Bar-B-Q Suite. Watson told Alex Smith how the work came about.