Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- New President And CEO For The National World War I Museum
Wed February 24, 2010
KC Police Shoot, Kill Woman Driver
Kansas City, Mo. – Kansas City Missouri police shot and killed a woman late last night on the city's near west side. Early official accounts suggest officers thought she was going to run over them. It happened in an industrial district between Signal Hill and Southwest Boulevard.
This is the story from police Captain Rich Lockhart.
Just before 10:30 last night a police car was nearly struck by a small SUV near Truman Road and Indiana. The woman driving it refused to stop and kept going erratically. Officers decided she was a threat to other drivers on the streets and chased the SUV.
The woman turned off 31st onto Terrace and ran into a dead end. By that point other police had joined in the pursuit and got out of their cars. The driver turned around and drove toward the officers who were standing in the street. Four officers shot at the SUV and killed the woman.
Police think she was in her 20's and was alone in the vehicle. None of police officers was injured. Those who fired guns have been put on leave as standard department policy while the facts are sorted through.