Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Sat August 4, 2012
U.S. Flag Gets Blown Away At Tennis Medal Ceremony
Originally published on Sat August 4, 2012 10:41 am
One minute, the American flag was flying in the wind. The next, it was flying away.
That was the scene Saturday at Wimbledon, after Serena Williams won the gold medal in women's single tennis, beating Russia's Maria Sharapova.
It was a gorgeous day at Centre Court, with the sun shining on the athletes standing on the podium, and America's national anthem playing to end the medal ceremony. But then, the flag simply fell from its post.
Olympic staffers were quick to retrieve it. One even carried the flag around with Serena as she, Sharapova, and bronze medalist Victoria Azarenka of Belarus walked to each side of the court to pose for photos.
The flag misadventure comes 10 days after London Olympics officials angered the North Korean delegation by displaying the incorrect flag as their soccer team's players were introduced. The flag they put on the stadium's screen was that of South Korea.