Summer breezes may make you feel fine, but for many, summertime is all about the music.
We wanted to build a summer 2015 playlist, so we asked, “What’s your song of the summer?” on the air and on social media.
But so did more modern hits, like “Can’t Feel My Face” by The Weeknd, suggested by Travis McKee (@mckeetr on Twitter).
And “Shut Up And Dance,” by Walk The Moon — a pick from a woman who left a message on our Tell KCUR call-in line. She didn’t tell us her name.
“I cannot get it out of my head. It’s crazy and I’m far too old to be singing a song like that,” she said.
“I met my new granddaughter for the very first time in the hospital. And I picked her up and I was inclined to sing, and guess what came out of my mouth? ‘Shut up and dance with me.’ Are you kidding? That’s terrible.”
So, happy summer, Kansas City. Enjoy what’s left of it — the last day of summer is Sept. 23 — with our listener-inspired playlist:
• “House of Bricks” by Despot
• “John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16” by Keith Urban
• “Compound Fracture” by My Morning Jacket
• “Meanwhile … Back at the Lab” by Slightly Stoopid
• “Wonderful Unknown” by Ingrid Michaelson
• “World On Fire” by Slash
• “Summer Breeze” by Seals and Crofts
• “Winning Streak” by Glen Hansard
• “Saturday in the Park” by Chicago
• “Shut Up And Dance” by Walk The Moon
• “Can’t Feel My Face” by The Weeknd
• Staff pick (Ron Jones, community engagement director): “Once A Day” by Michael Franti and Spearhead
Tell KCUR is part of an initiative to engage the community and shine a light on your experiences and opinions. We’ll ask a new question every week and then share your feedback on the air and online. Check out our arsenal of questions and your answers.