© 2024 Kansas City Public Radio
NPR in Kansas City
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

President Promotes Healthcare Plan in Lee's Summit

By Maria Carter


Kansas City, MO – President George W. Bush took a major part of the domestic agenda on the road, stopping in Lee's Summit to promote his health care proposal. KCUR's Maria Carter reports.

# # #

President Bush took a quick tour of St. Luke's East, praising the hospital for using technology to reach rural areas and providing patients with costs up front. Mr. Bush then sat down for a roundtable forum with a hand-picked group of doctors, small business owners, and employees to discuss healthcare. The White House proposal announced in the State of the Union address taxes employer provided insurance in exchange for a tax deduction of $7500 for an individual and $15,000 for a family. Democrats have criticized the plan, saying it won't help the poorest Americans get insurance, but President Bush contends his plan will help many of the uninsured.

President George W. Bush: And if people in Washington are serious about dealing with the uninsured, here is a serious idea for them to consider. They're just dismissing things because of pure politics; we have put forth ideas that are worthy of debate, and we believe will work.

The administration estimates 80 percent of Americans with employer paid health insurance will get a tax cut. The remaining 20 percent would see their taxes rise.

KCUR serves the Kansas City region with breaking news and award-winning podcasts.
Your donation helps keep nonprofit journalism free and available for everyone.