2018 was a year packed with news — and the food scene in Kansas City was no exception, with dozens of new restaurants opening up in town.
Central Standard host Gina Kaufmann spoke with local food critics Charles Ferruzza, Mary Bloch and Jenny Vergara about the latest openings and most enticing newcomers.
- Poi-O, located off Southwest Boulevard, is a fast-casual spot dedicated to chicken, which cooks on a wood fire and is then served with chimichurri sauce and tortillas. Sides, like a Mexican-inspired deconstructed elote or potatoes, can also accompany the chicken. Foodies who don’t want chicken can opt for Poi-O’s Filipino adobo baby back ribs.
- Fox & Pearl Pop-Up Location is currently operating in the old Novel space in the Westside, and Vaughn Goode’s pork chop is legendary across Kansas City. The pop-up location is set to open on Summit this upcoming spring.
- Parlor in the Crossroads offers seven different restaurants under its one roof. This food hall boats a lounge, outdoor seating and a full bar to serve Kansas Citians.
- Farina by Michael Smith will open in early February in the Crossroads as a restaurant with an all-Italian menu.
- Sayachi Sushi & Oyster Bar from chef Carlos Falcon will soon become Kansas City’s first restaurant offering omakase, a Japanese culinary tradition in which the chef chooses the customer’s order.
Celisa Calacal is an intern with Central Standard. You can reach her at @celisa_mia.