Oh the heat. Sometimes it hurts so good — too much can make it hurt so bad.
If you like the pain, there are a handful of restaurants across the metro that invite you to test your limits. For the rest of you spice lovers, there are even more places that try to strike a tolerable, yet delicious balance both in heat and flavor.
We present you the finest spiced dishes in the Kansas City area, per our food critics Charles Ferruzza, Emily Farris and Lou Jane Temple — and of course from you.
- Tortilleria San Antonio (hot green tomatilla salsa, hot orange salsa, tamales) - 831 Kansas Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
- Seva Cuisine of India - 8674 Northeast Flintlock Rd., Liberty, Mo.
- Sweet Siam - 7809 Quivira Rd., Mission, Kan.
- Korean Restaurant Sobahn (best kimchee and other spice-rich Korean dishes) - 7800 Shawnee Mission Pkwy., Shawnee Mission, Kan.
- Thai Place - (hot spice) - 4130 Westport Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Taj Palace (chicken tikka masala with onion chutney) - 1706 west 39th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Port Fonda (chilaquiles) - 4141 Pennsylvania Ave., Kansas City, Mo.
Lou Jane Temple
- Los Alamos (spicy pork and green ribs) - 1667 Summit Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Taj Mahal (flavorful spice, order hot for spicy) - 7521 Wornall, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thai Place (spicy, whole fish) - 9359 West 87th St., Overland Park, Kan.
- Chips and Dip (10 chili garlic dip, bold chipotle dip) - 2506 Holmes Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Seva (butternut squash dish) - 8674 Northeast Flintlock Rd., Liberty, Mo.
- Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop (drunken noodles) - 2030 Central St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Extra Virgin (ceviche) - 1900 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- El Porton (Latin American and Caribbean) - 4671 Indian Creek Pkwy., Kansas City, Mo.
- Le Monde Bakery (curry chicken soup) - 308 Armour Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- El Salvadareno - 7926 Santa Fe Dr., Overland Park, Kan.
- Chai Shai (lamb korma) - 651 East 59th St., Kansas City, Mo.