Digital Producer — KCUR's Kansas News Service
KCUR’s seeks a creative, digital-savvy individual with excellent news judgment to join a growing team of reporters and editors. The Digital Producer, who will be a part of KCUR’s Kansas News Service, will be located in Kansas City, Missouri, with weekly regional travel. The ideal candidate will be a great writer with a strong background in social media. The ideal candidate will have experience in creating and curating digital content across a variety of platforms, and in engaging communities online and in-person. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of or an interest in learning and understanding the culture, challenges, industries, politics and people of Kansas.
The Digital Producer must have an innovative and collaborative approach to content creation and distribution, and an ability to multitask in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Enthusiasm for public media is a plus.
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially-independent community service of the University of Missouri-Kansas City. See www.kcur.org/jobs for information about KCUR and Kansas City.
- Grow, engage and diversify Kansas News Service audience on digital platforms.
- Manage social media platforms for the Kansas News Service.
- Work with producers, reporters and collaborators to create, curate and share digital content in a manner that supports the Kansas News Service’s goals for content, engagement and growth.
- Work with reporters and producers to offer content on a variety of digital platforms, including social media, email, video and on-demand.
- Serve as primary contact for Kansas News Service audience on digital platforms; respond to all questions and comments online in a manner that reflects the voice and mission of the Kansas News Service.
- Assist with developing, implementing and executing digital campaigns across multiple platforms to grow audience, revenue and engagement.
- Work with Kansas News Service staff and collaborators to deliver breaking news online. Report and write stories for digital platforms as needed.
- Produce episodes of Kansas News Service podcasts.
- Manage and execute events for the Kansas News Service, including live podcast tapings.
- Track and analyze data for Kansas News Service digital content; report findings to staff regularly.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications or a related field; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job. One year of experience in a related position.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Knowledge and enthusiasm about the use and potential of social media, email, apps and other digital platforms.
- Experience managing a professional social media account.
- Experience working in digital communication or marketing.
- Experience working with a public media or news organization, exhibiting good news judgment and journalistic integrity. Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, MailChimp and content management systems.
- Experience shooting and editing video.
- Experience recording and editing audio content.
- Ability to work on diverse projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and work collaboratively with diverse personalities.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Ability to engage community members through campaigns and conversation, both broadly and within specific communities.
- Broad knowledge of issues relevant to the Kansas community, including people, places, and politics.
This position reports to KCUR’s Digital Director and the Editor of the Kansas News Service.
This position is non-exempt. Salary starts at $16.92 an hour, equaling $35,193 annually, and will be commensurate with experience and education.
HOW TO APPLY
Review of applications will begin on Monday, August 21, 2017. Apply online: www.umkc.edu/jobs. Applicants must combine all materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you experience technical problems, please call 855-524-0002.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Affirmative Action at 816-235-1323.