Freelance with KCUR
KCUR 89.3, Kansas City’s NPR affiliate, welcomes contributions from freelance journalists, and regularly contracts with freelance audio producers.
We enjoy working with creative, self-directed and organized individuals who have a strong understanding of the kind of stories that resonate with Kansas City audiences, who can pay the kind of attention to detail that ensures the highest quality content, and who can consistently meet deadlines.
Our freelance rates vary depending on the complexity of the project and the experience level of the freelancer. We’ll work out mutually agreeable details depending on the scope of the work.
If you’re an audio personality, producer, writer or editor with a great idea — we want to hear from you. Please send us an email describing your idea, along with a resume and portfolio with samples of your work.
Send an email to email@example.com with “Freelance opportunities” in the subject line.
Terms of freelance positions at KCUR:
- KCUR accepts freelancers based on seasonal projects and station-wide needs. Once receiving your application, we will be in contact to let you know if we are interested or seeking help on projects at the time.
- All KCUR freelancers are required to take part in UMKC’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion training, agree to the station’s code of ethics policy, and to participate in KCUR’s ongoing source tracking initiative. We pay freelancers for the time spent on these efforts.
- All contractors are required to have their own computer and a stable internet connection.
- Audio freelancers are required to have access to audio editing software.
- Remote and in-person opportunities are available.
We are currently looking for:
KCUR wants graphic designers who can work on long and short term projects. The work could include, but aren’t limited to, projects like:
- Editorial illustration
- Brochures and postcards
- Social media graphics
- Logo design
We’re looking for designers who have:
- Intermediate knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Basic knowledge of Google Suite, primarily Google Drive
- Ability to design within the parameters of an established brand
- Ability to work with lead designer to establish needs for projects
Please email us a sample of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Graphic design freelance" in the subject line. Your sample should include:
- A PDF or zip folder with 10 examples of your work
- Or a link to your website or online portfolio
Audio producer for KCUR Studios
KCUR Studios wants mixers, producers and multiplatform audio/visual content creators who will contribute to our wide array of podcasts.
Our podcasts include:
- Our daily news podcast, Kansas City Today
- Limited series like our food history podcast, Hungry for MO and the award-winning narrative podcast, A People’s History of Kansas City.
We also plan to expand the breadth of our offerings.
Freelancers will be thrown into the mix of our fast-paced multi-faceted creative team that is exploring the power and possibilities within on-demand content creation.
Send an email to email@example.com with “Audio producer freelance” in the subject line.
Statement on diversity at KCUR / Classical KC
KCUR and Classical KC are committed to ensuring that our workforce, community advisory board, and audience reflect the diversity found in the communities we serve. Central to KCUR’s mission, vision and values is maintaining a workplace environment that recognizes and celebrates diversity in all forms.
For more information on our policies and governance, click or tap here.
See KCUR.org for information about KCUR, Classical KC, and Kansas City.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: