Seg. 1: Evictions In Kansas City. Seg. 2: Affordable Housing
Segment 1: The consequences of eviction.
For families, eviction can be a devastating experience. We take a look at eviction in Jackson County and throughout the Metro to find out how it is affecting local households.
- Tara Raghuveer, director, Kansas City Eviction Project
- Jane Worley, supervising attorney, Legal Aid of Western Missouri
Segment 2, beginning at 27:40: Affordable housing in downtown Kansas City is on the decline.
Is there enough affordable housing in Kansas City? How is 'affordable' housing defined anyway? We discuss the impact of rising rent rates in area neighborhoods.
- Sarah Gish, enterprise reporter, The Kansas City Star
- Doug Cowan, president and CEO, Community Services League
- Daniel Serda, urban planner and project manager, Kansas City Catalytic Urban Redevelopment Initiative
Special thanks to Barbara Shelley for her reporting on eviction.
Editor's note: at approximately 29:00 into the podcast file a guest states that the total dollar amount of subsidized mortgage interest through deductions is greater than the national defense budget. This statement is erroneous. The guest had intended to state that subsidized mortgage interest was greater than the total HUD budget but had misspoke.