Seg. 1: Election Words. Seg. 2: National Novel Writing Month.
Segment 1: Where does the word vote come from?
Voting and elections have their own vocabulary, with words like poll, tally, ballot, and candidate. We discuss with scholars to learn the origins of voting words and how they came to be associated with the election season. We also check in with a KCUR reporter out at the polls on this election day.
- Virginia Blanton, English professor, UMKC
- Max Skidmore, politics professor, UMKC
- Laura Spencer, KCUR reporter
Segment 2, beginning at 37:52: Writing over 1,000 words a day for a month.
November is National Novel Writing Month, which challenges participants all over the world to write 50,000 words in 30 days. We talk with local writers about the experience and the community it builds.
- David Burns, Story Center Publication Manager, Woodneath Library Center
- Marian Rakestraw, local author