Segment 1: Democratic rising star Jason Kander on voting rights, Missouri politics and the 2020 presidential race.
While he may have lost his 2016 bid to unseat Missouri's Republican U.S. Senator, Roy Blunt, Democrat Jason Kander certainly hasn't disappeared from the political stage. Today, he tells us why he's turned his sights to expanding voting rights. Plus, Steve Kraske asks him why he's spending so much time in Iowa and New Hampshire lately.
Segment 2, beginning at 26:36: The Johnson County Librarians give their picks for kids' summer reading lists.
This time of year brings longer days filled with pool and picnics and, hopefully, some summer storytime. In the second half of our program, we got book recommendations for kids from our friends at Johnson County Public Library: Debbie McLeod, librarian emeritus, Dennis Ross, director of youth services, and Elena McVicar, youth collections librarian. Check out their recommendations below.
- "Baby Monkey, Private Eye," by Brian Selznick and David Serlin, Preschool - Grade 1
- "Alma and How She Got Her Name," by Juana Martinez-Neal, Preschool - Grade 2
- "Julián is a Mermaid," by Jessica Love, Preschool - Grade 3
- "In the Past," by David Elliott, Preschool - Grade 3
- "I Got It!" by David Wiesner, Preschool - Grade 3
- "Bob," by Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead, Grades 3 - 6
- "Rescue," by Jessie Haas, Grades 4 - 7
- "All's Faire in Middle School," by Victoria Jamieson, Grades 4 - 8
- "The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle," by Leslie Connor, Grades 5 - 7
- "The Journey of Little Charlie," by Christopher Paul Curtis, Grades 5 - 9
- "Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess," by Shari Green, Grades 6 - 9
- "Black Girl Magic: A Poem," by Mahogany L. Browne, Grade 6 and up
- "Akata Witch, by Nnedi Okorafor, Grade 6 and up
- "The Prince and the Dressmaker," by Jen Wang, Grade 6 and up
- "To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before," by Jenny Han, Grades 7 - 12
- "The Bird and the Blade," by Megan Bannen, Grade 9 and up
- "Royals," by Rachel Hawkins, Grade 9 and up
- "Dread Nation: Rise Up," by Justina Ireland, Grade 9 and up