KCUR Morning Newscast 4-16-08
By Maria Carter
KANSAS CITY, MO –
KCUR Morning Headlines (3 min 10 sec)
- The Missouri house has approved a bill asking voters to raise their taxes for veterans services.
- Missouri counties would have to give voters the option of a paper ballot in every state and federal election under legislation before the General Assembly.
- The Missouri House has voted to make it a crime to "coerce" someone to have an abortion. Those who threaten to fire a woman or take away college scholarships to pressure her into an abortion could be charged with a misdemeanor. Anyone who abuses or threatens a woman to get her to have an abortion could be charged with a more severe crime.
- Two employees of a firm working at the Lake City Army Ammunition plant of stealing copper used to make bullets and hurting the nation's war effort.
- Prosecutors have charged an 87-year-old Bonner Springs nursing home patient with beating another resident who later died.