© 2024 Kansas City Public Radio
NPR in Kansas City
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Ex-KCKPD detective Roger Golubski allowed to stay on home detention after fast food outing

Former Kansas City, Kansas, Detective Roger Golubski, (left) who faces federal criminal charges, walks into U.S. District Court in Topeka on Thursday with his attorney, Chris Joseph.
Peggy Lowe
KCUR 89.3
Former Kansas City, Kansas, Detective Roger Golubski, (left) who faces federal criminal charges, walks into U.S. District Court in Topeka on Thursday with his attorney, Chris Joseph.

Prosecutors wanted Golubski, who faces several federal criminal charges, to go back to lock-up because he took an unauthorized trip to Culver’s in January and lied to his probation officer about it. A federal magistrate denied the request, ruling it was a single violation, but tightened his release terms.

A federal magistrate on Thursday allowed former Kansas City, Kansas, Detective Roger Golubski to remain on home detention, despite a recent fast-food run being a violation of his pre-trial release conditions.

Golubski, who made a rare appearance in federal court in Topeka, silently nodded his head when Magistrate Rachel Schwartz admonished him for a trip to Culver’s on Jan. 23, saying she thought her original order was clear.

Schwartz allowed Golubski out on home detention and electronic monitoring in September 2022, just a few days after he was charged with violating two women's civil rights for allegedly assaulting them more than two decades ago. She cited his poor health, namely diabetes and heart problems, for her decision. Two months later, Golubski was also charged with protecting a notorious drug dealer’s sex trafficking operation of underage girls.

Although prosecutors’ request that Golubski be sanctioned after just one violation was “unusual,” Schwartz said, Golubski can only leave his home for activities “tied to narrow categories,” such as medical appointments or visits to his lawyer. Saying she didn't want him out in the community, Schwartz amended his pre-trial release order to specifically say he is barred from doing things like the fast-food stop.

A “concerned citizen” caught Golubski on video at the Culver’s and, through an attorney, got it to prosecutors. They contacted Golubski’s probation officer and were told that Golubski claimed he had gone to a doctor’s appointment, then stopped at Culver’s because his blood sugar was low. Schwartz told him he needs to plan for things like that by taking food, water and ice along to appointments.

Some of Golubski’s victims, who often attend the many hearings since his original arrest, were once again disappointed that he wasn’t heavily sanctioned. They are frustrated that the case has languished and a trial date is not yet set. Prosecutors this week asked the judge to set a start date in mid-September.

Michele Houcks, a Kansas City, Kansas, woman, said Schwartz’s decision was “a slap on the wrist.” She said she wants to the legal process to move forward for the many people watching the case.

“Whatever’s going to happen needs to happen,” Houcks said. “It’s taking so long.”

I’m a veteran investigative reporter who came up through newspapers and moved to public media. I want to give people a better understanding of the criminal justice system by focusing on its deeper issues, like institutional racism, the poverty-to-prison pipeline and police accountability. Today this beat is much different from how reporters worked it in the past. I’m telling stories about people who are building significant civil rights movements and redefining public safety. Email me at lowep@kcur.org.
KCUR serves the Kansas City region with breaking news and award-winning podcasts.
Your donation helps keep nonprofit journalism free and available for everyone.