Segment 1: Decline in history majors raises question: what's the future of our past?
New data shows a drop in the number of history majors at colleges in the United States. So what does it mean for the future of our history, if there are fewer people studying it?
- Benjamin Schmidt, history professor, Northeastern University
- Carolyn Kovar, UMKC student and history major
- Matt Reeves, PhD candidate in history, UMKC
Segment 2, beginning at 22:29: Marie Kondo your life.
The new Netflix show, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, brings the magic of cleanliness to real people's homes. In this conversation, we find out how a few Kansas Citians are reacting by tidying up their own clutter, how Shintoism and Japanese culture plays a role in this minimalist practice, and where to recycle your old stuff around town.
- Helen Austen, professional organizer
- Matt Riggs, recycling outreach coordinator, MARC
- Margaret Dilloway, author, 'What White, Western Audiences Don't Understand About Marie Kondo's Tidying Up'
- Morgan Wiley, Marie Kondo enthusiast