Segment 1: Keeping kids engaged, fed and healthy during summer months.
Most students are overjoyed when summer break rolls around. But what about the families who rely on school for access to meals, health care and mentorship? Today, we learned about what local school districts are doing to minimize the downsides of students being away from the classroom during the summer months.
- Shelby Rebeck, Shawnee Mission School District Health Services coordinator
- Derald Davis, Kansas City School District Innovation and Special Projects assistant superintendent
- Brent Schondelmeyer, Local Investment Commission deputy director for community engagement
Segment 2 beginning at 20:23: Troost Avenue's history, Festival, and future.
The fourteenth annual Troost Avenue Festival is this Saturday. But what exactly is this event, and how does it fit into the broader trajectory of the area? We took a look at the past of the Troost corridor, what's next for its communities and how this festival aims to unite neighbors.
- Renea Nash, Troost Festival organizer
- Daniel Edwards, Manheim Park Neighborhood Association outgoing president
- Vicki Noteis, Kansas City, Missouri, City Planning and Development former director
The 14th annual Troost Festival begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 19, on the 3100 block of Troost Avenue. For more information, visit TroostVillage.org.