Faulty Property Assessments In Jackson County? | KCUR

Faulty Property Assessments In Jackson County?

May 24, 2013

Jackson County officials are acknowledging that new valuations on 18,000 residential properties may not be accurate and need additional review.

John Wornall House
Credit Iknowthegoods

On Friday's Up to Date, we talk about these valuations that, in one case, reportedly jumped from about $267,000 to nearly $500,000. Steve Kraske asks Jackson County 1st District Legislator Scott Burnett and Deputy Chief Administrative Officer Ed Stoll to weigh in on the issue.

If you are a resident of Jackson County and would like to protest your property assessment

  • You can file an informal appeal here or by calling (816) 881-3530 by June 14. Be sure to have your assessment letter with you parcel number and PIN.
  • If you're still unsatisfied with the result, you can file a formal appeal with the Jackson County Board of Equalization by July 8. Call (816) 881-4601 or click here.
  • For further issues, you can appeal to the Missouri State Tax Commission by September 30.