Segment 1: Can news comsumers tell the difference between fact and opinion?
Turn on any news channel and try to determine if you're hearing fact or opinion. Can you do it? That's one of the topics our Media Critics tackled today, along with what is behind the brewing legal battle between Kansas Senate Majority Leader Jim Denning and the Kansas City Star. They also dig into the coverage of the alleged assault of actor Jussie Smollett.
- Peggy Lowe, Harvest Public Media investigations editor
- Michelle Tyrene Johnson, KCUR race, identity and culture reporter
- Dana Wright, KMBZ's “Dana & Parks” co-host
Segment 2, beginning at 26:36: Student team's science experiment gains a spot on the International Space Station.
Four students from Coronado Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas, worked after school and through winter break to develop an experiment that will be delivered by rocket to the ISS this spring. Two of the team members and their teacher explained how and why they developed the project to grow mint in space.
- Uhunoma Amayo, Coronado Middle School seventh-grader
- Carlos Jiminez Reyes, Coronado Middle School eighth-grader
- Erin Morley, Coronado Middle School science teacher