© 2024 Kansas City Public Radio
NPR in Kansas City
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Lost Your COVID-19 Vaccine Card? Here’s Where to Get A New One In The Kansas City Area

Using a vinyl holder attached to a lanyard is one way to protect and secure a Vaccination Record Card.
Carlos Moreno
KCUR 89.3
Using a vinyl holder attached to a lanyard is one way to protect and secure a vaccination record card.

A rising number of employers and public venues across the Kansas City area are requiring proof of vaccination.

More employers and public venues across the Kansas City area are beginning to require proof of vaccination as COVID-19 cases continue to overwhelm the region’s hospitals.

This week, the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts joined a string of local establishments that announced they'll require patrons to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination in order to attend their events.

That number could increase after the Food and Drug Administration gave full approval to the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine on Monday.

For those wanting to get into those venues or if your employer asks, here’s what to do if you misplace your card.


The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services is not offering replacement cards but can still send proof of vaccination. Those vaccinated in Missouri can complete an online form to receive a copy of their immunization records from the state’s registry, ShowMeVax.

Completed forms can be sent by email or fax to ImmunizationRecordRequests@health.mo.gov or 573-526-0238.

Kansas City

The Kansas City (Missouri) Health Department is offering COVID vaccination records to residents, but only those who were vaccinated in Missouri. People can get their records by going in person to the health department at 2400 Troost Ave. from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. A photo ID and $1 fee are required.

Residents can also request a copy of their immunization records through the state’s online form.

Jackson County

The Jackson County Health Department recommends people first reach out to the provider they initially got their vaccine from for a replacement card. If the provider is unable to give one, they can reach out to the health department at (816) 404-6415 for assistance in obtaining their records.

Those vaccinated in Missouri can also request a copy of their records through the state online.

Clay County

The Clay County Health Department says that, as with other vaccinations, a person can request their vaccination record by filling out a form on the department's website. The person will then receive documentation of their vaccine record from the state’s system, ShowMeVax.

A department spokesperson said that while they don't offer replacement vaccine cards, the document provided by the state should still work as proof of COVID vaccination.

Platte County

The Platte County Health Department said it will not replace lost cards, but can offer official vaccination records from Missouri’s database through a form on their site. Alternatively, people can request them directly from the state.


The Kansas Department of Health and Environment recommends on its website that those who get vaccinated take a photograph of their card as a backup copy and keep the original stored in a safe, easily accessible place.

If you need a new vaccine card, the department recommends first contacting your vaccination provider directly before contacting the state's immunization information system (IIS). The Kansas information system provides an online form to request immunization records or can be reached at 877-296-0464.

Wyandotte County

The Wyandotte County Health Department recommends that those who lost their vaccination card contact the provider that administered their vaccination to ask about steps to replace it.

A health department spokesperson recommends that people take photos or scans of their initial or replacement card and store the hard copy in a safe place.

Johnson County

Individuals who received their vaccine through Johnson County Department of Health and Environment can complete an online records release form in either English or Spanish. That form should be emailed to MedicalRecords-DHE@jocogov.org and a replacement card will be sent to them.

Other vaccination providers

National pharmacies are also providing ways for people to get a copy of their card.

People vaccinated at CVS can obtain a digital copy of their card through the pharmacy's website or app. For a hard copy, any CVS pharmacy employee can print a vaccine record. A vaccine record is also automatically emailed to patients after they get their shot.

Sam's Club and Walmart are offering a digital vaccine record as a backup copy to patients that they can access through their online account.

More than ever, education lies at the intersection of equity, housing, funding, and other diverse issues facing Kansas City’s students, families and teachers. As KCUR’s education reporter, I’ll break down the policies driving these issues in schools and report what’s happening in our region's classrooms. You can reach me at jodifortino@kcur.org.
KCUR serves the Kansas City region with breaking news and award-winning podcasts.
Your donation helps keep nonprofit journalism free and available for everyone.