© 2024 Kansas City Public Radio
NPR in Kansas City
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

2 adults charged with murder of Lisa Lopez-Galvan at Chiefs parade: 'We are not done yet'

Two men can be seen high off the ground in a bucket lift that is extended toward the outside of a large, concrete building. They appear to be hanging a large red banner with white and gold letters that reads "Kansas City, Strong, United."
Carlos Moreno
KCUR 89.3
A crew from CEI Electrical and Mechanical hangs a banner on Union Station Monday morning near where one person died and 22 people were injured in a shooting on Feb. 14 after the Chiefs Super Bowl celebration rally.

The Jackson County Prosecutor's Office charged Dominic Miller and Lyndell Mays with second-degree murder, after a verbal argument about "staring at each other" escalated into gunfire near Union Station.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced homicide charges Tuesday afternoon against two adult men accused of causing the fatal shooting during the Chiefs championship rally last Wednesday.

Lyndell Mays of Raytown and Dominic Miller of Kansas City are both charged with second-degree murder in the death of Lisa Lopez-Galvan. Two juveniles have also been charged in the shooting.

Baker said both men fired weapons following a verbal argument that escalated quickly. Miller allegedly struck Lopez-Galvan, Baker said.

Both men have been hospitalized since the shooting. Bond for each has been set at $1 million. They are also charged with two counts of armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon.

The family of Lopez-Galvan released a statement thanking the prosecutor's office and the Kansas City Police Department, saying it's a comfort but "it does not bring back our beloved Lisa."

"The effort and dedicated hours spent to expeditiously investigate this senseless act of violence is extremely commendable," the statement read. "It is reassuring for our family and the entire community to know that this joint team effort has resulted in the identification of the suspects involved."

At a news conference, Baker and Mayor Quinton Lucas promised swift and severe consequences.

"We seek to hold every shooter accountable for their actions on that day, every single one," Baker said. "We are not done yet."

Police Chief Stacey Graves said the investigation continues but wouldn't release any specifics.

"Our investigation continues at full velocity," Graves said.

Court documents detail a chaotic scene outside Union Station at the intersection of West Pershing Road and Kessler Road, where at least one person was openly carrying firearms in a backpack.

A witness who was with Mays told police the problem started when Mays and another group were "arguing about why they were staring at each other."

"Lyndell Mays confirmed that he drew a gun first, in a crowd of people with kids, picked one of the individuals in the group at random, and started shooting, all because they said, 'I’m going to get you' and to him, that meant, 'I’m going to kill you,'" according to the probable cause statement.

Interviewed at a hospital, Mays said his actions were "stupid."

“Just pulled a gun out and started shooting," Mays told police. "I shouldn’t have done that. Just being stupid.”

Miller, who was shot during the melee, was tackled by bystanders in the center median of Pershing Road, the probable cause statement said.

His gun, which he carried in his waistband, was allegedly a black Taurus G3 9mm pistol. Tests showed that the bullet recovered from Lopez-Galvan "was fired from the Taurus G3 9mm, the firearm Miller acknowledged possessing and firing," the document said.

Earlier Tuesday, Kansas City Police said one plain-clothes officer was injured during the response to the shootings, but that officer is fine.

Lucas questioned police brass Tuesday about why some municipal charges have not been used against people who are ignoring laws. For example, he said, last year no one was charged with carrying a firearm into a city building or transferring weapons to a minor.

More work will be going into programs that would help combat teen violence, Lucas said.

"Lawlessness won't be tolerated," he said. "But also, I think, the lack of hope that leads to young people picking up firearms, committing very serious acts."

Lopez-Galvan, a mother and local DJ at radio station KKFI, was the only person known to be killed in the shooting. Another 22 people were injured — including nine children.

Over the weekend, Children's Mercy Hospital announced that all of the patients it took in were sent home. Several adult patients remained hospitalized.

Last Thursday, the Jackson County Office of the Juvenile Officer filed resisting arrest and unspecified gun charges against two juveniles. Because those two suspects are juveniles, officials did not release their names.

One adult was also charged for picking up a gun dropped during the course of the shooting.

KCUR's Madeline Fox and Savannah Hawley-Bates contributed to this story.

I’m a veteran investigative reporter who came up through newspapers and moved to public media. I want to give people a better understanding of the criminal justice system by focusing on its deeper issues, like institutional racism, the poverty-to-prison pipeline and police accountability. Today this beat is much different from how reporters worked it in the past. I’m telling stories about people who are building significant civil rights movements and redefining public safety. Email me at lowep@kcur.org.
KCUR serves the Kansas City region with breaking news and award-winning podcasts.
Your donation helps keep nonprofit journalism free and available for everyone.