10 Urban Fishing Spots In The Kansas City Area
Even though Kansas City is a landlocked city, there are a lot of great fishing spots, including the Missouri River and a large amount of area lakes, ponds and small rivers. The Missouri Department of Conservation and Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, even stock Kansas City area park lakes with fish throughout the year to promote close-to-home fishing.
Here’s some information to help aspiring urban anglers get started.
What you need:
A fishing rod, reel and line, hooks, weights/sinkers, bobbers, swivels, multi-purpose fishing tool, a cooler, tackle box, bug spray and sunscreen, bate, a net, and a permit.
10 popular spots in the Kansas City area where fish are stocked:
- Troost Lake – 27th St. and The Paseo, Kansas City, Mo.
- Penn Valley Lake – 27th St. and Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Swope Park Lake of the Woods - Gregory Blvd. and Oldham Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Blue Valley Lake - 23rd and Topping Ave., Kansas City, Mo.
- Chaumiere Lake – NE 43rd Terr. And Choteau Trafficway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Englewood Lake – Englewood Rd. and N. Troost Avenue, Kansas City, Mo.
- Fountain Bluff Sports Complex - 2200 E. Old 210 Hwy., Liberty, Mo.
- James A. Reed Memorial Wildlife Area - 12405 SE Ranson Rd., Lee's Summit, Mo.
- Bonner Springs North Park Lake - 1200 S 134th St, Bonner Springs, Kan.
- Cedar Lake - 159th St. and S. Old Lone Elm Rd., Olathe, Kan.