© 2024 Kansas City Public Radio
NPR in Kansas City
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

If You're Going To Vote In Missouri On Tuesday, You'll Need To Show Photo ID

Elle Moxley
KCUR 89.3

A new constitutional amendment requires Missourians show photo ID when they cast a ballot.

That means if you want to vote in Tuesday’s special election, you’ll need to take your ID into your polling place.

Here’s what you need to know.

I’m registered to vote, and I have a current driver’s license.

Great! You can vote. Just don’t forget it on Tuesday. Other forms of government-issued ID, such as a non-driver’s license, passport or military ID, are also acceptable.

I’m registered to vote, but my driver’s license lists my old address.

You should still be able to vote, though you’ll need to confirm your current address to a poll worker. To avoid any confusion, Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft’s office is encouraging people whose ID doesn’t list their current address to bring a utility bill or bank statement with them.

I’m registered to vote, but I don’t have a government-issued ID.

You can still vote, but you’ll need what the Secretary of State’s office has deemed “acceptable identification.” This includes:

  • Voter registration card
  • Student ID from a Missouri university, college, vocational or technical school
  • Utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Government check
  • Paycheck

Additionally, you’ll be asked to sign a statement certifying it’s you.

I’m registered to vote, but my government-issued ID has expired.

You can still vote, but you’ll need to provide another acceptable form of identification (see list above) and sign the statement certifying it’s you.

I’m registered to vote, but I don’t have any acceptable forms of ID.

In that case, you’ll be given a provisional ballot. If you come back to your polling place later in the day with a photo ID, your vote will count. If you can’t, don’t panic. Your vote should still count so long as your signature matches your signature in the voter registry.

I need help getting a photo ID so I can vote.

Per Missouri law, the Secretary of State’s office has to provide you with help if you request it. Fill out this form, which asks where you were born so they can track down your birth certificate.

I’m registered to vote, but I’m having trouble voting.

Tweet @kcur, call 816-235-1551 and ask for the news department or email news@kcur.org.

I’m not registered to vote.

We think you should register to vote, which you can do online at the Secretary of State’s website. You have two options: you can print and mail your registration, or you can submit the forum electronically if you opt to register from a tablet or mobile device (it works even if you’re on a computer).

If you do go in person to register to vote, remember that the local election authority is the Kansas City Election Board if you live in the Kansas City, Missouri, part of Jackson County.

You do not need a photo ID to register to vote in Missouri.

Elle Moxley covers Missouri schools and politics for KCUR. You can reach her on Twitter @ellemoxley.

Elle Moxley covered education for KCUR.
KCUR serves the Kansas City region with breaking news and award-winning podcasts.
Your donation helps keep nonprofit journalism free and available for everyone.