Everything to know going into the 2023 Super Bowl
Here's everything you need to know about Super Bowl LVII, with some help from NPR member stations KCUR in Kansas City and WHYY in Philadelphia.
Updated February 10, 2023 at 6:23 PM ET
The Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles face off Sunday, Feb. 12 in Phoenix in Super Bowl 57.
The official kickoffis at 5:30 p.m. CT/4:30 p.m. local time on Sunday. And to help you prepare, we've gathered everything you need to know about the game, the prep and the aftermath with some help from our member stations KCUR in Kansas City and WHYY in Philadelphia.
Plus, along with the big game in Arizona, Sunday will also be Puppy Bowl2023. Once again, dozens of adorable pups face off, as Team Ruff tries to defeat the 2022 champs, Team Fluff.
This game will be full of firsts, on and off the field.
- It's the first Super Bowl to feature two Black quarterbacks.
- Call it the ultimate sibling rivalry: This game will also be the first brother v. brother Super Bowl. Meet the Kelce brothers and their incredibly supportive mom, Donna.
- Here's five things to know about the Eagles' Autumn Lockwood, the first Black woman to coach in the Super Bowl.
- The Chiefs' use of Native American imagery and traditions has turned off some local fans who find the controversies surrounding the team, the sport and the NFL, too much to gloss over.
- This is the Chiefs' third Super Bowl in four years.
- Kansas City's most unique Super Bowl tradition began by accident: An annual organ concert
- The more you know: The Chief's 1970 Super Bowl game helped bring down the Kansas City mob.
- Philadelphia Betsy Ross impersonator Carol Spacht traded in her usual red, white and blue for Eagles green as she raised the Eagles flag to kick off Super Bowl week.
- Members of the Philadelphia Eagles have linked up with some luminaries from Philly's music scene to bring to life a holiday album dubbedA Philly Special Christmas.
The game day prep
- This Eagles mural in Philly has been updated just in time for this year's match up, featuring Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and coach Andy Reid.
- For the second time in his five years as the Kansas City Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes has won the NFL's Most Valuable Player award.
- This South Philly bar for Chiefs fans is opting out of this year's Super Bowl. But for those in Kansas City for the big game, here are some of your best options for where to cheer on the Chiefs.
- And if you're planning on being in Philly on Super Bowl Sunday, keep an eye out forroad closures and parking restrictions.
- Billy Penn at WHYY breaks down all thehigh-profile Super Bowl bets between Philly and Kansas City — from mayors to senators, and from hospitals to zoos.
- One of those bets is between WHYYand KCUR, who couldn't resist a friendly food-related wager:
Challenge accepted! What do you say we trade Joe's?— WHYY News (@WHYYNews) February 7, 2023
🏈 When the @Eagles win, @KCUR sends our newsroom @joeskc
🏈 Chiefs win (they won't), @WHYY will send @JoesSteaks
(don't forget the extra sauce)#FlyEaglesFly #SuperBowlLVII https://t.co/ugxZfypFkl pic.twitter.com/5pB46ruj1m
- Inflation is no joke, so here are menu twists to save money on your Super Bowl snacks
- If you're in Philly, take this recommendation from Billy Penn:Jalen Hurts's signature cheesesteakat FoodChasers' Kitchen is, in fact, really good.
- From pizza to conchas, here's how fill your week with Chiefs foodif you're in Kansas City.
What to watch for during the game
As NPR's Becky Sullivan explains,
This year's matchup is a battle of heavyweights. Both teams finished the regular season atop the standings at 14-3. Both were the #1 seed in their conference. And now, both have won two playoff games to arrive here in the Super Bowl.
The halftime show
This year's halftime headliner is the one and only Rihanna. Back in 2019, she turned down the gig in solidarity with former San Francisco 49er Colin Kaepernick. Listen to It's Been A Minute's Brittany Luse and Code Switch's Gene Demby discuss if Rihanna's previous concerns were addressed and why she might need to step up to the mic.
After the Game
Should the Eagles win:
- Fans will likely try to climb poles, which the city of Philadelphia is greasing ahead of the Super Bowl.
- For Eagles fans who don't care about a little grease: Here'sclimbing advice from a former champion
Should the Chiefs win:
If the team's 2020 victory party is any indication,, it will be quite the celebration in KC should the Chiefs take home the Vince Lombardi Trophy this year. Check out highlights from the 2020 parade here.
- Hundreds of thousands of football fans will head to Kansas City in April to witness the 2023 NFL Draft. The National Football League released its first renderings Fridayof how Kansas City's iconic Union Station will transform.
NPR's Emily Alfin Johnson, Natalie Escobar and Kaitlyn Radde produced this piece, with help from KCUR's Gabe Rosenberg and WHYY's Maria Pulcinella. contributed to this story
Copyright 2023 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.