Prosecutor Names Suspect In Kansas City Highway Shootings | KCUR

Prosecutor Names Suspect In Kansas City Highway Shootings

Apr 18, 2014

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announces charges Friday against a 27-year-old suspect tied to recent highway shootings in Kansas City. The announcement took place at the Kansas City Emergency Operations Center.
Credit Laura Spencer / KCUR
Mohammed Whitaker
Credit Kansas City Police Department

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced charges Friday against a man tied to recent highway shootings in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

The afternoon announcement revealed Mohammed Whitaker, 27, of Grandview, Mo., faces 18 felony counts, including class A and class B felonies related to shooting into a vehicle.

The charges stem from a series of at least a dozen shootings on Kansas City area highways. Three people have been hurt as a result.

A combination of factors led to Whitaker's arrest, including ballistic tests on recovered bullets, witness reports and citizen tips, officials said.

"We have over 100 leads that we followed, and they continue to come in," said Kansas City Police Chief Darryl Forté, who stressed Friday that the investigation was ongoing.

Kansas City Mayor Sly James and numerous law enforcement officers attended the announcement, which followed weeks of widespread concern from the community and media attention.

The investigation marked a collaborative effort with investigators from local, state and federal law enforcement agencies meeting daily and sharing information.

"It's a testament to what good police work can do," Baker said. "And good police work never involves Blue Springs standing alone, or Leawood standing alone, it involves all of us working together. And that is what this case represents."

Officials divulged little about Whitaker during the announcement other than he had a limited criminal record. No motive was released.

The Kansas City Police Department announced Thursday night that officers had a suspect in custody

His bond was set at $1 million according to police.